Robert Warren Wrote :
- So, the thing you need to know next for making E85 is that you will need to remove the last
5 or 10% of water by a process called a molecular sieve.
- I know this sounds technical, but it is pretty simple, and cheap, too.
- A sieve is a strainer. The finer the screen, the finer the final product will be, as when
you are sifting flower to remove any clumps or large particles.
- You can buy Zeolyle, which is a granulated product that will absorb water but not the slightly
larger ethanol molecules.
- You need to specify that you want to buy the 3 A size (3 angstrom), as this is what you need
for making 200 proof ethanol.
- Buy Type 3A in 10lb bags (looks like a small pea gravel) it is only a couple of bucks
and it works very well to dehydrate the ethanol.
- We mix about 5 lbs in a 5 gallon can and let it sit with the ethanol overnight and pour the
dehydrated ethanol through a screen, into another can the next day.
- To get the water out of the zeolite we just broil it on the backyard grill - it is reusable
- Or, you can dry it in the sun by spreading it on a tarp in the summer months.
- Finally, you measure that you do really have 200 proof with a hydrometer.
- If you still have some water in your alcohol, it will separate out and settle to the bottom
when you mix it with gasoline.
- Also, you should strain your 200 proof through a fine screen just to make sure you don’t
have any zeolite particles that will clog up your fuel filter.
< SOURCE >